BLOCK CARE INSTRUCTIONS
PROLONG THE LIFE OF YOUR BOOS BLOCKS® WITH PROPER CARE & MAINTENANCE.
1) A minimum of once a month (depending upon the use and household conditions), apply an even coat of Boos® Mystery Oil to all surfaces of your wood cutting board using a cloth or disposable towel. Allow the Mystery Oil to fully penetrate through the wood fibers overnight, then wipe off any excess oil. Apply additional oil to any visible dry spots or for any other necessary reasons.
2) DO NOT allow liquids of any type to stand on the cutting board for long periods of time. DO NOT let fresh, wet meats lay on the board longer than necessary. Brine, water, and blood, contain liquids, which soak into the wood, causing the cutting board to expand, the wood to soften, and affects the strength of the glued joints.
3) Use a good steel scraper or spatula several times a day, as necessary, to keep the cutting surface clean and sanitary. Scraping the surfaces will remove 75% of the liquids. Do not use a steel brush on the cutting surface of your board.
4) DO NOT cut fish or poultry on the cutting board work surface, unless you have thoroughly followed the instructions in step #1. The moisture barrier must be intact prior to cutting any type of fish, seafood, or poultry on the cutting board work surface. ALWAYS CLEAN THE BLOCK THOROUGHLY AFTER CUTTING FISH OR POULTRY ON THE WORK SURFACE.
5) Be sure NEVER to cut continuously in the same surface area. Distribute your cutting over the entire work surface so that it will wear evenly. DO NOT use a razor-edged cleaver. It will chip or splinter the wood and produce soft spots. Your cleaver should have a dull sharpened edge for best results.
6) Sanitize your cutting board by wiping all surfaces down with mild dish soap and water. Dry thoroughly. DO NOT wash your wood cutting board with harsh detergents of any type. DO NOT wash your butcher's tools on your cutting board surface. DO NOT put Boos Block® wood cutting boards into dishwasher.
7) Maintain the same bevel on the edge of your cutting board as it had when purchased. This helps prevent splitting or chipping on the outside of the cutting board.
8) If your cutting board is reversible, it should be turned over periodically to allow even usage to both work surfaces.
Note: Butcher Block cutting boards are not dishwasher compatible.